April 23, 2010

believing




as many of you know (and now you do) i'm not religious. the following below is my belief, if you don't like it - don't read it. this is my blog. this is a sensitive topic to some, but again - it's my blog, right?

i was raised without any religion imposed upon me, so i was able to live with a free mind and a free heart. i do believe some of my family is christian...seeing as we celebrate christmas. (and technically since my cousin married a jewish australian dude - i'm like .0001% jewish? i wish.....) and i know my parents are influenced by buddhism (growing up in taiwan). i don't know much about buddhism, much to do with respecting ancestors and such. no idea though.

i thank my parents for never putting a religion upon me, it's one of the things i'm forever grateful for. i feel like when your parents impose their religion upon at a young age - you become that in a way. it's the way it's always been, is there any other way? (again, doesn't always apply but i'm just saying in general at times) i believe children should be able to choose what religion/or no religion to believe.

what i think is: if you want to believe in (insert religion here) religion, believe in it. what's important ( and what i think ) is that you CHOOSE to and want to - not because someone told you. that's what i respect, believe in what you want - not what someone tells you to.

and i choose to believe in nothing but following your heart. don't let rules or restrictions interfere. i have no heaven, i have no god, i have no hell. i have life, right here on earth. and if given another chance at life maybe i'd come back. my beliefs are a mixture of reality, dreams, and numerous of sci-fi books. ;)

my favorite interpretation of death is in the book ELSEWHERE, google it. basically, when you die - you get sailed on this boat across the river (kind of like egyptian mythology) to elsewhere. you age backwards until you are 0, and are sent across/down the river back to earth. i don't want to spoil anything else, so read it for yourself! i read it when i was 13...so maybe it's a different read now, but the concept is great nonetheless.

my other favorite god-being thing interpretation of death and life are like two girls. (i forgot which book, sorry!) sisters, each a vital part of the cycle of existence. except life is revered and death is misunderstood. this is her duty, without her there is no life. i don't really like the "devil" interpretation of things. dying is just another stage of life, not an evil thing. when my time comes, my time comes. (the later the better though ;P)

but never take this as hating on religion - i find it fascinating. my favorite ones are in which there are numerous of deities - like native american, indian, greek, egyptian....etc. i like personifying nature. i like how there are conflicting forces. never one overall god. (greek is my favorite though, i'm obsessed with greek mythology)

(the following is my little bible of my beliefs)

a lot of religions focusing on doing pious work on this planet - so that in the next life/next step it's better. but the thing is.....is there another step, another chapter? you're given ONE chance, never waste moment of it. there is to "restart" or "rewind" button.

don't spend your life impressing or appeasing something intangible or might not even be there, spend it selfishly and selflessly. helping/inspiring others and living your life the way you want to live.

be the person who you want to be, and never regret. cherish and love nature. that's my religion. (maybe i should just start my own, haha)

i want to look back on my life at the ripe age of 103, and say - i don't regret one moment of it.

maybe there is a greater being up there, maybe there isn't. besides - we're all just petty little humans, what do we know? (and what are we to judge?)

3 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and now I want to read that book!! Have you read the lovely bones? I really find that view of heaven interesting. I'm reading the shack now, which is supposed to have an interesting view on faith. I can't wait to finish it! Also life of pi is interesting faith wise.

    anyway, I took comparative religions my senior year in high school, and I loved it. it's so interesting. so many of the religions stem from the same basic beliefs, it's amazing that they find a way to fight each other.

    one day on tumblr I saw someone's thoughts regarding religion: "one mountain, many rivers". That rang really true to me, I really like that.

    for me, I don't have any specific beliefs. I like a lot of different ideas, but when I look at what I actually assume when I'm not thinking about it, I realize that I believe in a god. his qualities are mostly just someone or something to guide me through life and to talk to/turn to when I'm really grateful or need help. I think it goes with my general true beliefs on life (as in, what I always find myself *actually* believing) is that everything happens for a reason and everything will always end up ok. if something bad is happening, there is a reason, and you will be ok eventually, and I kind of see god as the person or whatnot that is doing this and sees what's ahead, so that I have something to hold and latch onto.

    I have no clear true belief of heaven. I don't really ever consider hell. I have totally blurry lines when it comes to heaven though. in some respects I can't imagine it, but at the same time I can't imagine life just ending. also, people like my grandpa I feel like somehow are still guiding me in some way, even though he isn't alive. I don't feel like he's gone and that's it.

    anyway this is long and rambly, sorry :P
    but I love religions and beliefs, they're so interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. this is amazing, i never thought of it that way.. i dont follow a religon either, i just believe in being a good person.
    you are so intelligent for someone so young (:
    you really do inspire me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. emily: i've heard of it but i've never really read it, i'll get to it though :) thanks!

    mhm, i love learning about religions and how faith can really really influence others. and inspiration can influence a life.

    yes! how could they fight if many of their core beliefs are similar?

    oh man, i love that quote.

    i like that, thinking everything is going to be okay in the end - because it will be. <3 a positive outlook.

    me neither, just take hold of life on earth and maybe something good'll happen next? and yeah, i really can't imagine life ending. maybe with age i will?

    nah, i liked reading it <3 i like it when people respond, hehe.



    emma: :)<3 really? haha. i think my mind is just to rambly for my head. but thank you, really!

    ReplyDelete